Hello, and welcome to Leeds English Language School. In this exercise we are going to look at words connected to transport.
Level Guide : Skill: Listening – Level: Elementary – Activity: True/False – Topic: Transport
Vocabulary Task 1:
In two minutes, write all the forms of transport (car, bike etc.) you can think of here.
Vocabulary Task 2:
Can you name these vehicles?
Listening Task 1:
The first time you listen, do not write anything. Listen to an interview with three people and answer the question.
Which forms of transport does each person talk about?
1. __________ , 2. __________ , 3. ___________
Listening Task 2:
Are the following sentences true or false?
- Mei thinks the best way to travel around Beijing is by motorbike.
- Mei likes travelling by bus.
- It takes Mei half an hour to get to work.
- The roads in Cairo are very busy.
- Fuad goes to college by metro.
- Buses in Cairo are expensive.
- Sandra goes to university by bike.
- Bicycles are the best way to go shopping.
- Sandra often travels by boat.
Listen again to check your answers. If the answer is false, why is it false? How many of your answers were right? Students at Elementary level should get at least 7 correct.
All these adjectives were in the listening. Which would you use to describe the transport? Can you add any more?
1. Tram, 2. motorbike, 3. underground/ metro, 4. canal boat, 5. bicycle, 6. plane
True/False: 1. T, 2. F (they are crowded and he doesn’t like them), 3. T, 4. T, 5. F (the college isn’t on the metro line, he goes by bus). 6. F (they are the cheapest way to travel), 7. T, 8. F (trams are the best way to go shopping), 9. F (they’re expensive)
Language Leader Elementary, Ian Lebeau and Gareth Rees, Pearson Longman, 2008.
What are the most popular forms of transport in your city? Why? How do you get to work/ school? How long does it take you?